Re: Non-Free JavaScript

On Sun, 2010-03-07 at 21:50 +0100, Goran Rakic wrote:
> Dana Ned, 7 Mart, 2010 21:32 , narendra sisodiya je napisao/
> > Every JavaScript Developer must be instructed to declare global
> > variable (var LicenseInfo = [gplv3, mit] ) in their first line of
> > JavaScript file.
>
> There is no standard to do this in C or C++ either. I do not see a reason
> why JavaScript should differ. JavaScript can be blocked and white listed
> if one is worried not to run non-free software.

Because most people don't let Web browsers download and run C code.
For the Linux kernel, there is indeed an API to prevent proprietary
modules from tainting the kernel when they are loaded.
Most JavaScript is downloaded automatically, and it seems to me
that it's a similar situation, except that most Web browsers are not
distributed under the GPL.  But as the GNOME desktop starts to
integrate JavaScript, it may become an issue.

Best,

Liam