Re: Reboot: Strategic goals for GNOME

2010/3/4 Stormy Peters <stormy peters gmail com>:
> c) Think about developing our own "free" web alternatives like identi.ca
> did. I'd especially like to see an open alternative to Dropbox/Ubuntu One.
> But there are lots and lots of web apps that people use regularly that could
> use alternatives. Social networking, finances, managing collections, ...

Technically, there is: iFolder. It has struggled quite a bit, but it's
still completely open and just waiting for someone to Do The Right
Thing and get it fixed up a bit and offer a service. The biggest
problem that iFolder has is no one is providing hosting for it. It's
free software, but it's a bear to get a server running and way more
hassle than most users are willing to put up with, even if they have
the means to do so.

Best,

Zonker
--
Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier <jzb zonker net>
About: http://www.dissociatedpress.net/about/