Re: Question for Bastian Nocera

On Mon, Jun 14, 2010 at 5:50 PM, guido iodice <guido iodice gmail com> wrote:
> 2010/6/14 Stormy Peters <stormy gnome org>:
>> We need to work on other campaigns to spread the word about the value of
>> free software.
> Surely free software needs more.
> But it should be useful for all to explain than GNOME is part of GNU,
> and GNU is the main part of the GNU/Linux system.

If you want to play the semantics game then no, GNU is not the main
part of a modern GNU/Linux system. Today, apart of GNOME, GNU is
mostly glibc, libiconv et al. (I'm not counting compilers as they are
only relevant to devs.) Unless you stretch the meaning of GNU to
"anything covered by GPL or LGPL", it is hardly a majority.

--
Patryk Zawadzki