Re: Question for Bastian Nocera

On Sat, Jun 12, 2010 at 1:06 AM, Richard Stallman <rms gnu org> wrote:

As long as the mistake continues to be common, we need to keep up the
efforts to educate people.  I wish we could get this done once and for
all, so that we could move on.  But, as you surely see, the mass media
continue to call the GNU/Linux system "Linux" most of the time, and
that continues to spread the mistake.

Speaking as Stormy and not as ED, I think this is a losing battle. I agree we need to continue to educate people but I don't think GNU/Linux is going to be the way it happens. Millions of people now say Linux and GNU/Linux is harder to say, uglier sounding (hard G's are not easy), implies that we feel left out, etc. I really don't think it's going to be something that catches on no matter how many of us push it.

Names often do not include all the components. I drive a Pontiac car that includes many other parts. We drink "coke" that includes many other brands. I use "kleenex" that is often not kleenex at all.

We need to work on other campaigns to spread the word about the value of free software.

Stormy