Re: Question for Bastian Nocera

2010/6/14 Stormy Peters <stormy gnome org>:

> On Sat, Jun 12, 2010 at 1:06 AM, Richard Stallman <rms gnu org> wrote:
> Millions of people now say Linux

Millions of people believed the earth was flat, but they wrong :)

> and GNU/Linux is
> harder to say, uglier sounding (hard G's are not easy), implies that we feel
> left out, etc.

Well, then we should change the name of this DE. GNOME begins with
"GN" like GNU. Well... GNOME *is* part of GNU!
Following you statement, we could rename it "LIOME" or something else. :)

> Names often do not include all the components. I drive a Pontiac car that
> includes many other parts. We drink "coke" that includes many other brands.
> I use "kleenex" that is often not kleenex at all.

"Pontiac" is like "Ubuntu", "Fedora", etc.
But the questions are:
What is a Pontiac Torrent? It is a car. What kind of car? It is a SUV
What is Fedora? It is a OS. What kind of OS is it? It is a GNU/Linux OS.

> We need to work on other campaigns to spread the word about the value of
> free software.

Surely free software needs more.
But it should be useful for all to explain than GNOME is part of GNU,
and GNU is the main part of the GNU/Linux system.