Re: GNOME Foundation and CEO Goals

Hi,

Og Maciel wrote:
> I just felt that goals such as:
>
>      $500 - Improving relations with the advisory board, starting
>             regular 1-on-1 meetings with them, etc.

For this one, the starting point is worth bearing in mind. If I
understand your argument, you're saying that anyone *not* doing this in
the job of executive director should be fired? From where we were 18
months ago, this (very time-consuming) part of the job has been
invaluable for the foundation. We've gone from being quite passive with
our advisory board to being forward in asking them to get involved in
projects we're running.

>      $250 - Improving relations with the community (keynotes, blogs)
>      $500 - Working with the board.
>    $1,000 - For being the eyes & ears of GNOME.  The quarterly report,
>             advisory board relations & meetings.

If I understand correctly, these are discressionary bonuses allowing the
board to reward the task being done better than expectations.

You're right - all of these should be done anyway by an ED, to some
extent. By setting a performance bonus, you're setting priorities, and
indicating areas where "good enough" won't do. Seems reasonable to me.

Cheers,
Dave.

--
Dave Neary