Re: Code of Conduct and Foundation membership

Hi Behdad,

On Wed 25 Nov 2009 23:19, Behdad Esfahbod <behdad behdad org> writes:

> On 11/25/2009 05:13 PM, Andy Wingo wrote:
>> It's only IRC and DDL that are really the outliers, it seems, and there
>> there is enough social pressure, combined with ignore/kill lists, that I
>> don't really see all the fuss.
>
> And foundation list?  Just saying each maintainer should solve this on
> their own does not make the problem go away, it just puts the burden on
> multiple people.

You're right that there's this case too, and I'm sure there's more. I do
think that officially endorsing the CoC (ideally via some kind of
referendum) would be nice as an overall statement of "this is what we
believe", for the reasons Lucas gave.

But on the enforcement side, I guess what I'd like is for this feedback
mechanism to be on a more human scale. In the end, maintaining a project
is as much a social task as a technical one. Maintainers are there
because they merit it; they are the heart of GNOME, much more so than
the board. Their views don't need procedures to enforce themselves.

I'm not sure what incidents are being discussed specifically here, but
if they are about the planet, I don't think the maintainers need to
exercise board power.

Cheers,

Andy
--