Re: Code of Conduct and Foundation membership

Hi,

Lionel Dricot wrote:
> How often do we have to deal with offended people? What energy will we
> spend to deal with each case on a case by case basis? Answer is A.
>
> How much energy will we spend to try to design a law/rule that might fit
> every use case and will be discussed each time we have a case? Answer is B.
>
> I expect A << B by at least one order of magnitude.

You forget "how much energy is lost forever to the community because
good people walk away after an unpleasant experience?"

It is telling that the main reason departing editors give when signing
off Wikipedia is: "Wikipedia is becoming a more hostile environment,"
contends Mr. Ortega, a project manager at Libresoft, a research group at
the Universidad Rey Juan Carlos in Madrid. "Many people are getting
burnt out when they have to debate about the contents of certain
articles again and again."

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB125893981183759969.html

They have concrete measurements of participation, we don't. So we don't
know how many developers are inactive now, and were formerly active, or
why they left. But we certainly have anecdotal evidence of people who
have publicly left because they could no longer work in the GNOME
environment. I can give you 10 names off the top of my head.

You don't think that's a problem?

Cheers,
Dave.

--