Supporting GTK+

Please could you tell me if there are any versions of GTK+ installed by default in any versions of Linux.
I have spent all weekend attempting to install GTK+ in Debian 4.0 and Ubuntu 8.10 and always fall at the first hurdle (Pango.)

I am sure this is merely the first of an abundance of issues that I will come across and I simply don't have the time available to go through this again. If there is a Linux distro that already has GTK+ installed so that I can install mono-develop then I will simply install that distro.

thanks in advance

Patrick Stowe