Re: What do you think of the foundation?

On Mon, 2009-06-01 at 12:30 +0200, Philip Van Hoof wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-06-01 at 11:04 +0200, Dave Neary wrote:
[snip]
> Just look at the replies from people: there's an almost unanimous
> agreement that our community is doing just fine. Why are you trying to
> fix anything? There is no problem. Is that so hard to accept?

You keep saying that, yet the whole reason Dave started this particular
thread is that people have complained to him that our community is NOT
doing fine, and Stormy has replied in this thread to say she also has
received complaints, as now I'm saying that I have too.

I don't think any of us are saying the sky is falling and people are
leaving in droves, but when several people (whom I respect) in our
community say that they dread discussions on mailing lists and IRC
because of the inevitable bike-shedding and pointless obscure
argumentation, or even in some cases outright bullying, I would say
that's a valid concern that needs to be addressed. Similarly when people
from outside our direct community (eg. kernel hackers, non-core app
developers) ask me if we've solved our 'dysfunctional community problem'
I worry even more.

However you seem to flat out deny that there is a problem so I'm not
sure what I, or anyone else, can do to convince you that this is a real
issue.

Paul

--
Intel Open Source Technology Centre