Re: What do you think of the foundation?

On Mon, 2009-06-01 at 13:06 +0200, Dave Neary wrote:

<snip>

> Here's the nut of the issue.
>
> I want the board to protect people from being shouted down by people who
> disagree with them.
>
> You want the board to not make waves among the shouters.

I think an ombudsman wouldn't be a bad idea.

Which is why I'm not criticizing your steps 0, 1 and 2.

> You point to the majority of people posting in this thread disagreeing
> with me. A cynic would say that all these people so vehemently opposed
> to this are (a) scaring away all the people who agree with me and who
> have spoken to me about this, and (b) the first people who would likely
> be censured, because they exhibit the type of behaviour which others
> find offensive.

> >> To my mind, the person is embarrassing themselves by behaving in a way
> >> that is rude.
> >
> > This is irrelevant and not even always going to be the case. Not all
> > fights happen publicly, for example.
>
> Indeed - the private mails are often worse, more insulting, and more
> damaging to the project.

It's not really appropriate for a board to publicize private mails.

But I don't think you are proposing this.

--

My reply to/about Emmanuele Bassi's personal criticism:

First of all, I think it's offtopic in this thread. People who aren't
interested in this that safely ignore this part completely.

I don't remember that I ever had a discussion with you, Emmanuele. Not
at a conference nor online. We just never talked with each other. Maybe
we have crossed a few words. Won't be much, because I have no memory of
it.

If you have a personal issue with me, you should talk with me in person.
Not this way.

I also don't understand how you make a conclusion about IRC tirades and
then explain that you're ignoring me on IRC. How can you know? Looking
at my logs I have not had a lot very long conversations in channels that
you also join, lately.

Only the technical ones in #xesam and #tracker are longer, to name just
the public ones. Looking at my blog items, the majority are purely
technical about the project I'm involved in lately (which is Tracker).

My others blog posts had subjects about (in date order) European finance
& Euro bonds, about the fukin newz, about becoming an Astronomer, about
my girlfriend being touched by his noodly appendage, about that I like
Sally Shapiro's music, a dutch post about our state sponsored television
channel's news reporting (shouldn't have appeared on the planet, as it
wasn't in English), E-mail as a desktop service, about some dude talking
about freedom of speech vs. religions trying to forbid criticizing their
book (I only posted his youtube videos), ...

Oh yes ... the post titled utilitarianism. But that one also received
positive comments. For example Ian Hurst's.

And that's it for this year. That's a half year of blog items.

Maybe the utilitarianism one could be linked to your criticism. And if
that one wasn't appropriate then planet.gnome's moderator should have
skipped it. I have always said I wouldn't mind that.

I kindly invite you, in case I'm incompatible with you, to indeed ignore
me. Fully. I wont even feel bad about it, nor will I think you're wrong
or something. Just ignore me. It's fine.

Meanwhile you're also invited to contact me and discuss this. Would be
the first time. Would also be more fair than how you are doing it now.

home: me at pvanhoof dot be
gnome: pvanhoof at gnome dot org
http://pvanhoof.be/blog
http://codeminded.be