Re: Stormy's update: Week of July 13th

On Wed, 22 Jul 2009 11:20:22 +0200
Philip Van Hoof <pvanhoof gnome org> wrote:

> On Tue, 2009-07-21 at 21:43 -0400, Richard Stallman wrote:
> > Another problem with trying to find an issue here is that, depending on
> >     the point of view, Amazon acted within their own Terms (point iii under
> >     "Subscriptions").
> >
> > Legally, that would make a difference; ethically, it is beside the
> > point.  Some people are willing to sign away their freedom for some
> > sort of convenience.
>
> I don't see it as signing your freedom away. I see it as receiving a
> convenience in exchange for an agreement.

That is because you think only of yourself perhaps. I could equally
characterise things such as "spying on your neighbours and reporting them
to a corrupt state" as "receiving a convenience [no hassle, better
housing etc] in exchange for an agreement"

Neither looks at the full picture.

I am not sure however the list is the right place to debate ethics.

I strongly agree with Ciaran about instead working with sellers such as
bookzilla.de