Re: GNOME DVCS Survey Results

On Sun, 2009-01-04 at 23:01 +0200, Zeeshan Ali (Khattak) wrote:

> > To be honest,
> > I really wonder if something else would happen that I'd qualify as a
> > good switch.
>
>   How about we set-up a task-force of volunteers who would want to
> help in the move, each volunteer promising at least 3 hours a week? 3
> hours is a very small amount of time but I am hoping that we'll be
> able to gather at least 10 volunteers and together we can do it, even
> using our spare time.

This would be a good idea in my opinion. For example an expert in the
target DVCS writes up a list of tasks. In such a way that people can
execute them one by one.

We've done this several times with migrating away from old APIs. I
remember for example the GOptionContext and GVFS migrations.

Our community-members are smart people: they 'are' qualified to perform
such tasks.

I think that it wouldn't be bad for our community if multiple people
would get involved here. Didn't we need more people in the sysadmin
team? And wouldn't this be an opportunity for newcomers to join the
team?

>   In any case, after looking at the results of the survey we should
> only look at hybrid/dual proposal like John's when we don't find any
> way of moving to git in a reasonable amount of time (< 6 months).

The First-Picks-Permutations graphs illustrate that people who know both
git and bzr pick git two to one. Also the ranking results show this.

We must draw conclusions from that. Even if it's not about winning or
losing: it's still about making the right choice.

I'm not against the hybrid solution. But it's my opinion that the
solution must make sure that the full git experience is guaranteed.

ps. I don't think a lot of developers care about the actual format on
GNOME servers. If it doesn't interfere with any of git's use-cases.

home: me at pvanhoof dot be
gnome: pvanhoof at gnome dot org
http://pvanhoof.be/blog
http://codeminded.be