Re: GNOME DVCS Survey Results

On Sun, Jan 4, 2009 at 11:33 PM, Olav Vitters <olav bkor dhs org> wrote:
On Sun, Jan 04, 2009 at 05:29:02PM -0500, David Zeuthen wrote:
> Uh, but that's exactly how I understood the proposal and I believe that
> the points I made (that you didn't respond to) still stands: That it's
> crazy to officially want to support git, bzr and hg *at* the same time
> *from* the same repo. It's just asking for trouble.

That isn't true. It is Bzr on server, with Git support. Nothing about
Hg, nothing about doing partly Git, partly Bzr.

Sorry for not being clear in my explanations. Basically, as Olav pointed out, it is about having Bazaar on the server, with a git-serve plugin allowing it to fulfill the git client requests as well as the bzr client requests.

The following scenarios will be possible:
(bzr repo) <-> (git serve plugin) <--------- network -------> (git client)
(bzr repo) <-> (bzr serve) <--------- network -------> (bzr client)

both bzr and git will operate fully, nothing will be partially supported, since the bazaar repository format is a superset of the git repo format (ie. it stores more metadata).

I talked about hg, just to highlight that the solution is quite future proof, because you can certainly apply the same solution to allow hg clients to access the repository.

cheers,

--
Ali