Re: "Private Foundation-List" Petition for referendum

On Fri, 2009-12-18 at 21:27 +0100, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
> On 12/15/2009 10:58 AM, Vincent Untz wrote:
> > Le mardi 15 décembre 2009, à 11:57 +0330, Behnam Esfahbod ZWNJ a écrit :
> >> Also, is a referendum really necessary to create a new members-only
> >> mailing list?  Noting that becoming membership and participation is
> >> always optional.
> >
> > It's not necessary to hold a vote to create a list, but I think Behdad's
> > point by doing this is to see if there's real interest from the
> > membership.
> >
> > Behdad, are you fine if we put a time limit for your proposal (2 weeks,
> > 1 month, whatever)? Just to make sure we know when to close the topic in
> > case there are not enough members signing the petition -- I'd hate to
> > have someone come again in 2 years and say "hey, we now have 50
> > signatures for this", while we will have all moved on ;-)
>
> Ok, lets wait till Monday.  That would be one week.

I think that this is too short a notice considering that it is Christmas
time.

I have just signed the list.

http://live.gnome.org/PrivateFoundationListPetition

We would need 35 to 40 signatures to put this to vote, as Behdad said.

My reason for signing up is mainly that critic in order to make
improvements within the GNOME project itself are best done in private
before the result is made public on the public list.

A list for members only would also make it more attractive for new
contributors to decide to become Foundation Members.

Remember only GNOME Foundation Members should be able to be part of a
consensus decision, and only Foundation Members can vote in elections
and referendums.

Thanks,

Anne