Re: "Private Foundation-List" Petition for referendum

On 12/14/2009 10:51 PM, brendan wrote:
Doesn't this undermines the values of the open source community? While
where at making a private list for discussions, why not make the whole
gnome project, closed source. The news we generate from such
discussions, gives the gnome project public visibility that is needed
for gnome to grow.

The reason I love open source is that it open for ___anyone___ to
participate in the community and allows for people to come up with ideas
that "Foundation Members" never would of thought of. It's the whole
point of open source.

Brendan,

I understand your stance and appreciate it. But note that GNOME != GNOME Foundation. We are not talking about closing GNOME to contributions from non-members, neither there is anything here about changing the licensing scheme. My proposal is mostly about recognizing that some discussions are better done among contributors only, and not the public. And only if a reasonable part of the community thinks that it's a good idea.

behdad

Thanks

Brendan