Re: "Private Foundation-List" Petition for referendum

On 12/14/09 8:28 PM, "Behdad Esfahbod" <behdad behdad org> wrote:

> My proposal is mostly about recognizing that some discussions are
> better done among contributors only, and not the public.  And only if a
> reasonable part of the community thinks that it's a good idea.

I understand the motivations, but I tend to agree with the folks who think
this is, on balance, a bad idea, largely because it's doubtful that anything
that you wish would stay private actually will. As Benjamin Franklin
observed, "Three may keep a secret, if two of them are dead." (The numbers
are smaller for mailing lists...)

In any case, journalist-impersonators like Mr. Varghese are going to write a
load of smack, no matter what, even if they have to simply invent it. After
all, they have in the past.