Re: "Private Foundation-List" Petition for referendum

On Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 7:19 AM, Behdad Esfahbod <behdad behdad org> wrote:
> [/me removes board hat]

> I like to ask for your support in my petition for referendum to make
> foundation-list archives private and membership limited to actual Foundation
> members.  If we make that change we would be able to discuss matters freely
> without making lots of news that more often than not are harmful to our
> image to the world in general.
>
> Please sign here:  http://live.gnome.org/PrivateFoundationListPetition
>
> We would need 35 to 40 signatures to put this to vote.

This isn't the way to go. Trolls will be everywhere and, discussions
will float on to news sites. For example, I see that happen for Fedora
far often. Taking the discussions into a -private might stop news from
percolating via journalistic sources, but get out it will. Keeping the
discussions open and transparent might actually help emphasizing the
ethos of transparency that GNOME has.

Watching two or three folks take a discussion totally off-track is
nothing new. It happens all the time. A -private, I feel, isn't the
solution.

Please don't do this.

--
sankarshan mukhopadhyay