Re: Code of Conduct and Foundation membership

On Fri, Dec 11, 2009 at 10:01 AM, Lefty (石鏡 ) <lefty shugendo org> wrote:
> On 12/11/09 9:32 AM, "Behdad Esfahbod" <behdad behdad org> wrote:
>>
>> Quick procedural note: If you really want to pursue this, according to the
>> bylaws you need support of 5% of the membership IIRC to put something to vote.
>>   I'm not sure the vote would be binding though.
>
> Is there anything in the bylaws as to how this support might be collected
> and demonstrated? If not, I doubt _anything_ will ever get put to a vote...

Presumably it is assumed you use the resources provided by the gnome
project including but not limited to mailing lists and irc.  Also the
Foundation publishes a full membership list with contact information.
According to that list there are 357 members of the GNOME foundation.

If you can't get 17 or 18 people to agree that your idea is worthy
enough to put up to a vote given the community orientated nature of
the GNOME project, then maybe the idea isn't worth considering or at
least not a priority for the project.

> I don't think anyone--with the possible exception of Mr.
> Stallman--subscribes to the notion that the GNOME Foundation approves of,
> endorses, or supports every posting syndicated to Planet GNOME. Nor have I
> noticed conspicuous calls on Planet for this sort of "rule" to address a
> looming threat posed by the inappropriately unfree.

I do not believe RMS thinks this is so.  His position as I understand
it is that it is bad publicity for the FOSS movement if such a public
facing venue like Planet GNOME is used to promote proprietary
software.  Obviously we all have our own positions which is what this
discussion has been addressing.

Les