Re: Software relicensing, how is it done ?

Hi Tristan,

Tristan Van Berkom wrote:
>         We've been talking about relicensing Glade 3 under LGPL for
> a few years now (other primary contributors and myself), and I'm
> about to try and bite the  bullet and take the plunge.
>
> I have a vague idea about what things must be done and steps that must be
> taken for this to happen, i.e. contacting all the authors of remaining code
> portions in glade and having their consent, and documenting it all to
> a certain degree...

You need to:
1. Make a list of each author of Glade
2. Contact each of them, requesting permission to relicence Glade
3a. When all of them have sent you a written note (email is OK) then you
can go ahead.
3b. If you can't get to 100%, you'll need to remove/rewrite all code by
authors you can't contact or who refuse permission.

> I was hoping that the foundation could help with this, even if only
> a lawyer, student of law, or just an experienced guy with this kind
> of thing, could help enlighten me on what steps need to be taken,
> in what order, etc. I would really apriciate the help and guidance.

Evolution is going through the relicencing process now - perhaps someone
on the Evo team can share experiences with you?

Cheers,
Dave.

--
Dave Neary