Re: GNOME Foundation and Mozilla Foundation join forces
- From: Richard Stallman <rms gnu org>
- To: Dave Neary <bolsh gnome org>
- Cc: foundation-list gnome org
- Subject: Re: GNOME Foundation and Mozilla Foundation join forces
- Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2008 16:33:38 -0500
In working with the Mozilla Foundation, we need to keep in mind that
the Firefox binaries released by the Mozilla foundation are non-free.
Originally this was true for two different reasons:
1. These binaries included the Talkback module for which
source was not released at all. (Mozilla does not have the source
2. The binaries carry an EULA which is rather unpleasant.
I heard that work was under way developing a free replacement for
Talkback. I do not know where this work stands now. In any case, we
need to be careful not to recommend the non-free Firefox binaries,
unless both problems have been solved.
This is why some GNU/Linux distros use IceWeasel, BurningDog or
IceCat instead of Firefox. Since they build from sources
and do not include Talkback, they cannot call it Firefox.
] [Thread Prev