Re: Akademy+GUADEC *2009* Hosting Proposals

On 7/3/08, Lennart Poettering <mztabzr 0pointer de> wrote:
> On Thu, 03.07.08 20:54, Quim Gil (quimgil gmail com) wrote:
>
>  > On Thu, Jul 3, 2008 at 6:30 PM, Lennart Poettering <mztabzr 0pointer de> wrote:
>  > > Are there even any direct flights to Tampere, except from HEL?
>  >
>  > Ryanair in Tampere operates to Frankfurt, London, Bremen, Dublin,
>  > Milan and to Riga.
>  >
>  > Blue 1 operates to Stockholm and Copenhagen.
>

> Still no comparison to charter trips.
>

>  > Food, at http://www.gnome.org/~behdad/akademy+guadec-2009-bids/finland/
>  > there is a list of restaurants with many options starting from meals
>  > at 5€. Remember that Tampere is a city full of (public) university
>  > students, including Erasmus from all Europe. 5€ is a competitive price
>  > in the Spanish Summer, specially in the coast.
>  >
>  > Coping with parties every night is a problem for the economy of many.
>  > This was raised in previous editions and should be taken into account
>  > next year, no matter where. 3 sponsored social events with drinks
>  > reasonably covered + a couple of nights covered by a visit to the
>  > supermarket + a couple of nights actually sleeping well and drinking
>  > very healty water... Sounds like a plan?
>

> I somehow doubt that this works out. It didn't in Birmingham: some
>  people went out all the time because they had no problems affording it
>  in Birmingham -- Some people had to focus more on living from
>  Tesco. Claiming that this was a good solution is, uh, not really
>  understandable to me.

I don't think it's trivial either. The point of GUADEC is to socialize
and get to known each other. We can't pretend to have everyone always
together, but we should try to give everyone the chance to attend more
places than Tesco.

Not to make it a reason to always choose the cheapest place nor to
rule out more expensive places, but let's try to keep it accesible to
more people.