Re: Akademy+GUADEC *2009* Hosting Proposals

On Thu, 03.07.08 20:54, Quim Gil (quimgil gmail com) wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 3, 2008 at 6:30 PM, Lennart Poettering <mztabzr 0pointer de> wrote:
> > Are there even any direct flights to Tampere, except from HEL?
>
> Ryanair in Tampere operates to Frankfurt, London, Bremen, Dublin,
> Milan and to Riga.
>
> Blue 1 operates to Stockholm and Copenhagen.

Still no comparison to charter trips.

> Food, at http://www.gnome.org/~behdad/akademy+guadec-2009-bids/finland/
> there is a list of restaurants with many options starting from meals
> at 5€. Remember that Tampere is a city full of (public) university
> students, including Erasmus from all Europe. 5€ is a competitive price
> in the Spanish Summer, specially in the coast.
>
> Coping with parties every night is a problem for the economy of many.
> This was raised in previous editions and should be taken into account
> next year, no matter where. 3 sponsored social events with drinks
> reasonably covered + a couple of nights covered by a visit to the
> supermarket + a couple of nights actually sleeping well and drinking
> very healty water... Sounds like a plan?

I somehow doubt that this works out. It didn't in Birmingham: some
people went out all the time because they had no problems affording it
in Birmingham -- Some people had to focus more on living from
Tesco. Claiming that this was a good solution is, uh, not really
understandable to me.

Anyway. I think I am not the right one to fight for all the oppressed
and disadvantaged who might want to come to GUADEC. So let's stop the
money discussion here. Just one last thing: I just think it is not the
right sign to move the conference to the country with the third
highest cost of living in Europe, after has already been in Norway
(which is the country with the highest cost of living) two years
ago. (We should move it to Switzerland in 2010, then we'd have had it in
all three most expensive countries. Yay! -- that ranking is from
"ECA International", some study I justed googled)

Lennart