Re: OOXML [was Re: GNOME Foundation Board Meeting Minutes :: 7/6/07]

> > On 6/10/07, Jody Goldberg <jody gnome org> wrote:
> > >
> > > As a non-profit we (GNOME) would not have voting privileges.
> > > The membership will serve as a mechanism to allow interested
> > > foundation members to join ECMA committees.  I'm advocating this in
> > > relation to ECMA376/TC45 aka MS OfficeOpen XML.  Committee members
> > > have the ability to request clarifications and suggest improvements
> > > in the text of the specification.  For anyone implementing parts of
> > > this format this is a golden chance to get enough documentation to
> > > facilitate interoperability.

(tangential)

If I recall correctly, now that Gnome is a member organization
of the ECMA, we can put people on committees without paying any
more for each person.

Jody is absolutely qualified to take part in discussions about
the OOXML spreadsheet format.  But what about the other formats?
If it's beneficial for us to be on this committee to scrutinize
the specification, then surely it would be beneficial to have
somebody scrutinize the word processor bits.

--
Shaun