board [was Re: OOXML [was Re: GNOME Foundation Board Meeting Minutes :: 7/6/07]]

On 10/31/07, Jeff Waugh <jdub perkypants org> wrote:
> <quote who="Luis Villa">
>
> > I am frustrated, and so I will be running for the board again.
> >
> > If elected, my almost-exclusive focus will be handling legal and
> > secretarial issues for the board. So I can't guarantee that my being on
> > the board would necessarily have prevented this particular problem, but
> > I'd like to think I would have at least screamed very loud.
>
> That's rocking good news. More warm bodies on the Board with time to spare
> (or a very particular focus, plus the usual oversight and representation) is
> a very welcome thing, and it would be great to have you on the Board again.
>
> A related issue: I think we've pretty much shown that the seven person Board
> thing is a bit of a failure. Even if you're not elected or didn't run, we
> could appoint you to the Board for this function. :-) We ought to consider
> adding a couple of people to the Board.

I'm hesitant to declare it a failure until I see more evidence that
delegation has been tried and failed. For example, I could do this
sort of thing without being on the board at all- no need to appoint me
to the board. But frankly I have not felt like my attempts to help out
have been invited, much less encouraged.

Or to put it another way- I'm running because delegation appears to
have failed, not because the 7-person board has failed.

> So much for being away for five years. :-)

I never said five, I said three. ;)

Luis