Re: bounties?

<my $0.02>
Don't get me wrong, bounties can be great motivators, especially
around key bugs or major refactoring jobs etc. I think the Google
Summer of Code is a great example of a successful bounty program.
Other systems that have worked well are sometimes the completely
independent 'I'll buy a DVD/Beer/Lunch for someone who can fix bugX"
however, even if we assume all the administrative overhead was
completely handled, and the awarding of proper monies to all parties
who worked on a bug/feature there is still one major issue. Bounties
can 'cheapen' the sheer unbridled awesomeness of the untold hours
committed by volunteers who do it just because they love Gnome, or
Free Software, or even just an application. I know that if I had been
chasing bugs for a release for a week or 2 and someone outside the
project gets $200 for some other bug, I would feel a little 'shafted'
(for lack of a better word ;) ). I think that the balance that has
been struck between the commercial and the FOSS world is a healthy
one, where we find plenty of developers employed to work on/with Free
Software Projects.

That being said, I do think that maybe a 'community powered' system
for this _could_ be made to work. I think that there is a great
feature proposal at launchpad which outlines a system that could work
well, primarily because it would encourage smaller sums (generally
speaking) which would probably be spread over several bugs. Giving not
only new talent, but in-place maintainers all a chance to make a
little money, and more importantly, it gives users a great way to help
steer development.

Its a tricky subject, and I think that the current system (no real
bounties to speak of) is much better than a poorly handled bounty
system, however, if there was enough interest (both on the funding and
receiving side of things) I think a working system could be
established.

</my $0.02>

Cheers,
Kevin Kubasik