Re: bounties?

On Nov 6, 2007 7:26 PM, Quim Gil <qgil gnome org> wrote:
> On 11/6/07, Dr. Michael J. Chudobiak <mjc avtechpulse com> wrote:
>
> > I guess it's no surprise that money and free/open software have a
> > delicate relationship...
>
> I have been putting it in this way:
>
> The connection between free software development and money compares to
> the connection between friendship and sex: you can build a consistent
> relationship starting as friends or lovers and continuing that way,
> but if you jump for once to the other side you will probably mess up
> everything.

Interesting way of putting it, we wouldnt ever want patches to be rushed
in because of cash incentives, this is indeed risky - on the other hand I dont
see why there shouldnt be some external distributed firm of developers
working on a bounty system that is only remotely related to gnome (and
why not X, the Linux kernel as well) - a bounty hunter could be responsible
for writing the code and getting it approved by the appropriate maintainer
or reporting back to the firm why it wasnt accepted by a said gnome maintainer.

I'm sure alot of us myself included would like to spend more time working on
free software if we could only afford it...

Cheers,
                 -Tristan

PS: please excuse double post if you recieve twice as the first bounced
from the wrong mail address