Re: Call for invitations to be the host of GUADEC 2008

On Fri, 2007-03-23 at 02:01 +1100, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> Where necessary, and in this case I think it is, we should be very clear
> about GNOME's geopolitical view of the world: North America is not in
> Europe.
>
> - Jeff

Hey Jeff,

"GNOME" cannot have a geopolitical view since "Gnome is people" and we
each, well, erhm, perhaps, think a little differently. Now the "GNOME
foundation" probably has to recognize nation states but don't think for
a second that means that "GNOME" does.

As for the myth of the continents, that useful fiction to define the
"others" as being from "elsewhere" and therefore inferior, closer to the
animals (not that anything evolved from the animals, no siree!), and
generally worthy of conquest, pillage, exploitation, well, perhaps our
code of conduct would lead some of us to re-examine the concept and
perhaps leave it out of our language.

Which leaves this gnomer with the "Gnome Users' and Developers' Earth
Conference," something that could happen in lots of places ... and
lovely if it did, especially in, say, a town of Mediterranean climate
with good air, food, and wine, leading to fine discussions, grandiose
plans and a great vibe for another year.

And if such a thing happened in say Turkey, Lebanon, Mexico, or Cape
Verde, who would seriously object?

--adrian,

who will now throttle his bandwidth, hoping that most have deleted this
unread.