Re: Special GNOME event in California next week

On Fri, 2007-04-13 at 17:43 -0400, Richard Stallman wrote:
> plan to use the GNU/Linux system, not Linux alone.

I use the:

        GNOME / KDE / SAMBA / OpenOffice.org / PHP / FreeDesktop.org /
        Python / Apache foundation / X.org / Perl / [and 10,000 other
        packages ] / GNU / Linux as packaged by the huge communities of
        contributors to Gentoo / Debian / Fedora / and even *BSD /
        OpenSolaris / [ and 160 more ] operating system.
http://www.operationaldynamics.com/reference/talks/InsideOutside/img27.html

Linux has long been a code word for the entire movement. No one is
ignorant of the role that the GNU bits play, and they appreciate it. But
frankly, trying to insist on inserting your name is asinine.

When I pointed this out when giving a keynote 18 months ago at a major
Free Software conference, I got a spontaneous standing ovation: more
than 1000 people were on their feet screaming and cheering their
agreement.
http://www.operationaldynamics.com/reference/talks/InsideOutside/img28.html

We use the GPL for our software, and encourage others to do the same. We
acknowledge GNU's role conceiving it every time we do. That is
recognition. That you make petulant demands of others makes you look
silly weakens your credibility as an advocate for software freedom.

AfC
Bangalore

--
Andrew Frederick Cowie

Technology strategy, managing change, establishing procedures,
and executing successful upgrades to mission critical business
infrastructure.

http://www.operationaldynamics.com/

Sydney   New York   Toronto   London