Re: Substituting "Linux" with "GNU/Linux" or "GNU"

Alan Cox wrote:

> Can I urge translators to translate the phrase correctly, without
> the GNU/ Error and people to ignore the "official" policy in favour
> of correctness.

I am confident that the translators will read

http://www.gnu.org/gnu/linux-and-gnu.html
http://www.gnu.org/gnu/why-gnu-linux.html
http://www.gnu.org/gnu/gnu-linux-faq.html

and will judge for the correctness relying on their own conscience and
heart.  Translating free software is generally a tedious job (or at
least it becomes after years of doing it), so my motivation, and I'd
say with a fair amount of certainty that this is valid for many
people, comes from something much more valuable and important than a
mere desire for power and popularity.  If everyone was lead only by
utilitarian thinking, we wouldn't have GNOME translated in so many
languages.