Re: Research groups and the GNOME project

Hi!

El lun, 13-11-2006 a las 19:16 +0100, Olav Vitters escribió:
> (Wanted to leave this to others, but oh well)
>
> On Mon, Nov 13, 2006 at 05:37:29PM +0000, Alan Horkan wrote:
> [..]
> > I cannot really speak to your other requests but I'd say the only problem
> > there will be finding administrators with the time and energy available to
> > help you out.
> >
> > > - Mirroring GNOME CVS
> >
> > Perhaps you need more but I believe this is already possible using CVSup
> > http://www.cvsup.org/
>
> Alvaro: Please don't. When people need this (for mirror purposes), we
> (sysadmins) hand out rsync access. Much better on the load.

Sure, we always try to work with sysadmin so we don't disturb at all the
service we are studying. As a developer and sysadmin I understand
perfectly that doing the wrong things in a big scale it is horrible for
the quality of service.

So we will follow carefully the sysadmin policies about how to get
access to the data we need.

> > > - Access to the Bugzilla database
> >
> > did a quick search and there may be archived copies of Gnome Bugzilla from
> > before any major upgrade, "Dump the database in text format".
> > http://live.gnome.org/BugzillaUpgrade
> > with a copy of that you should be able to rebuild but an easier way may
> > exist.
>
> Those backups include security sensitive stuff like password hashes,
> logincookies and private bugs. Handing out a cleaned up copy is
> possible, but nobody should do it except me.

Olav, if finally the board decides to give us the data we need for our
research work, we plan to give you scripts that will take the data from
MySQL bugzilla but only the data we need, not the sensitive information.

> > > A sysadmin contact asking him/her to help us in the process could be
> > > better way to do it.
>
> When someone decides this is a good idea (suggest to let the board
> decide), giving the required info is the easy part.

Yes, this is why I have tried to involve the board in the decision. Then
it would be time to work with the sysadmins in order to get the data
taking as much less as possible from their time.

> However, suggest beforehand to have them sign a NDA (not to reveal
> personal data). Plus have GNOME review any outcome beforehand. IIRC this
> is the way Mozilla handles with such requests.

About the NDA issue, we use in our tools a process to make not possible
to cross personal data with the activity data in the different tools. We
use a person identity number that hides the real person identity. But I
am sure we will solve any privacy issue if the board finally agree in
giving out research group access to the data we need for the research
projects.

Thanks for you response guys!

Cheers

--