Re: Temporaray enlargement of the GNOME Board with 2 persons

<quote who="Anne Østergaard">

> The Board would like to propose to you a temporary enlargement of the
> board with two persons: Behdad Esfahbod and Germán Poó-Caamaño.

My personal opinion on this, as stated to the board:

 * We made our bed with the one-two-punch combination of change in board
   size and change in number of employees (currently zero).

 * Given that we delegated the decision regarding board size to the members
   and executed that change, it would be inappropriate only six or so months
   down the track to change it again.

 * The biggest problem right now (as I see it) is lack of board member time
   on the ground in Boston. We can distribute and delegate almost everything
   else effectively. This is impacting administration tasks and employment
   plans.

 * We are attempting to do big things without the benefit of having a face
   to face meeting. Every board so far has been more effective post-GUADEC,
   after they've had the opportunity to sit down, grind through the issues
   with a lot of social bandwidth and look each other up and down a bit. It
   really helps develop shared vision, shared values and shared trust in a
   way that mail, phone and IRC can't.

- Jeff

--
GUADEC 2006: Vilanova i la Geltrú, Spain            http://2006.guadec.org/

   "The ability to procrastinate is what separates us from the machines."
                     - Chris Gregory, Desktop Magazine