Re: Temporaray enlargement of the GNOME Board with 3 persons

On Tue, Jun 06, 2006 at 03:11:54PM +1000, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> <quote who="ted gould cx">
>
> > But, they can't be members of the board without an election.
>
> Just want to point out that, yes, they can be - please read the Foundation
> by-laws. The board can change the size of the board at will, and nominate
> members at will.

  Which is clearly a hole in the democratic process, the right thing to do
would be to fix the bylaws, not jump on the loophole as a justification.

> The referendum process was not done because it was necessary, it was done to
> understand the will of the membership (and delegate the decision to them).

  And to stay in the spirit of that process you should have avoided this
last step. Honnestly this look very weird from the outside, the board looks
like contradicting itself on every occasion, provides no information about
the day to day business (or I missed the minutes since the bunch posted for
March), and the only thing which justify not working by delegation is that
most of the operation need to be done in secrecy. That's honnestly not the
kind of board process we expected when the bylaws were written,

Daniel