Re: Code of conduct (bis)

On 12/2/06, Alan Horkan <horkana maths tcd ie> wrote:

Code of conduct: "Dont be an asshat"

[no comment]

I'm baffled as to why the board cannot agree on this.  I sincerely hope
we've gotten past the point where people still disagree with the basic
idea and we are only arguing a matter of degrees.

I think in general (in the board and the community) is precisely the other way round: it's the principle of a CoC and how the CoC is being pushed what creates division while nobody has nothing against the recommendations written there.

Here is the public part of my vote in the internal discussion the board had some weeks ago:

On Mon, 2006-10-16 at 16:38 +0200, Anne Østergaard wrote:
> Request for a vote on the board on a GNOME Code of Conduct.

My vote is No.

As a foundation member I gave several reasons in the debate at
foundation-list.

As a board member. Leaving aside if we need a CoC or not, it is not a
priority the board needs to push. We could push it if there would be a
clear consensus in the community and there would be a general demand for
a board backing. This is clearly not the case, though.

I would consider an Abstention (something different than "No opinion")
if the rest of board members would have a strong feeling that a CoC
needs to be approved and backed by the board. It's not the case. A CoC
approved without consensus in foundation-list nor in the board is a weak
CoC, which in a GNOME community without much abuse is IMO worse than
having no CoC even from a pro-CoC point of view.

I have to say that the fact that Luis Villa (whose position I'm
occupying now) showed in the foundation-list also a positioning against
the CoC also contributes to make vote No. The debate happened during the
same days Luis left the board and I joined.

I think decisions like Olav's using the CoC to try to prevent abuse in
bugzilla make a much better favor to the CoC than the board voting if
it's official or not.

VERY IMPORTANT: what I think the board needs to do is to look at the
reasons that made Murray create that CoC and put specific points in oiur
agenda in order to improve what is wrong in our community.