Re: Code of Conduct final draft?

Hi Jeff,

I'm not sure it was suggested to solve a particular social problem in the
community (because while we have some behavioural problems, they're not at
all crippling the project in any way) but in a somewhat metatastic fashion,
it was suggested to solve the problem that we don't have a CoC. :-) This of
course depends on whether you see inherent value in documenting our shared
values - I do, and I think Murray does.

[Acting as a historian, not actually espousing an opinion]

At some point, Murray proposed the CoC as "a means of doing something
so that it doesn't look like we're doing nothing" with regard to
GNOME's relative dearth of female involvement. Since the ML archives
got hosed, I can't provide a link to my post or Murray's reply
thereto. But he mentions it in this post and other preserved posts:

http://mail.gnome.org/archives/foundation-list/2006-May/msg00060.html

[Now espousing an opinion]

From where I sat, it sure looked like GNOME's female
underrepresentation was a catalyst for writing the CoC, and was argued
as such throughout the thread by its proposer. Why did we need a CoC
now, since we haven't had a formal one for, what, 9 years? Clearly,
some issue other than "we lack a CoC" was the motivation behind
proposing the CoC.

Still, I think that the CoC is a good idea. I just don't think that
it's even remotely useful to refer to it as a solution to GNOME's
female underrepresentation without even anectdotal evidence to back up
that claim. It only muddies the issue. "Be excellent to one another"
is good enough to stand on its own.

Best,
Dom
--
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums.