Re: Code of Conduct final draft?

Ar Tue, Aug 01, 2006 at 11:57:10AM +0200, ysgrifennodd Philip Van Hoof:
> On Tue, 2006-08-01 at 11:38 +0200, Murray Cumming wrote:
> > The idea is to state what we consider acceptable behaviour, in order to
> > advertize to newcomers what they can expect when getting involved in
> > GNOME, and to reinforce this existing behaviour, so that bad behaviour is
> > more clearly unacceptable when it does happen. It says who we are and who
> > we want to be and how we'd like people to think of us.

> I agree and understand the code on that wiki. I would accept cooperating
> with somebody who does and who doesn't. It's his/her personality and
> his/her behaviour. It's not me (nor GNOME) to judge it.

You are saying that it's not up to you to judge people's behaviour?
I judge all the time, and really I bet you do too. And I am really fed
up that Murray has worked on this for months, and now people are still
saying "It's too hard! It's too official! I might have a bad day!"

No-one is suggesting that you are banned from being rude (unfortunately).
That list says "Advice" at the top. And the idea is that those are the
behaviour that Gnome people think we should be following. It doesn't
say everyone will always be perfect. It's more about setting a standard.

I have spent long enough putting up with obnoxious remarks on the net
(and this most certainly includes aspects of Gnome) and getting really
quite upset about some of them. I don't want to have to do that any more.
After a nice rest from IRC and a major trimming of my mailing lists,
I decided that life off the net is generally much nicer, and I wonder
why I put up with the obnoxious stuff for so long. I no longer want to
spend my time trying to interact with people who have no interest in
being civil. I accept that different cultures have different ideas of
courtesy, but why must I accept that it is too hard for supposedly
bright people to remember that politeness is a nice thing?

Telsa