What is GUADEC? (was: Re: Changing the name of GUADEC)

Hi,

Luis Villa a écrit :
On 9/5/05, David Neary <dneary free fr> wrote:
1. There is no link to GNOME in the name, or to being a conference

In both the current name and the proposed name, you have a G, that's
it. So if this is the problem, the proposed new name doesn't solve it.

I'm sold on this argument.

As is so often the case, it's hard to decide to abandon something without an alternative. Out of the discussion, I think GnomeCon (which unfortunately has some problems in France) or the GNOME Conference are the best suggestions.

Besides these obvious flaws, I'd really hate to see fundamental
tinkering with things like this while we still don't have a basic idea
of what the heck GUADEC is and who it is meant to be for.

Deciding what GUADEC is for is harder. Changing the name should be easy. It's generally better to start with the easy bits in my experience. I agree with everything else you say, by the way.

The problem is that lots of people have said that we need to improve GUADEC, and that's much more important than the name. Very few people have actually said what they think GUADEC should be.

My experience from GUADEC organisation, and the board, is that even in small and very involved groups of people, the views on what GUADEC should be are very varied.

I think the GUADEC planners need to come up with a mission statement
for the board to discuss and approve/disapprove of

Who's going to do that? Why does this have to be top-down? Aside from Tim, Quim, myself and Anne, who are the GUADEC planners? Even in that group, there are wildly differing oppinions of GUADEC. And I don't trust the board to come up with a representative outlook of GUADEC - any such mission statement should be opened up to the peanut gallery.

I would much prefer such a mission statement to be bottom-up.

Cheers,
Dave.

--
David Neary