Re: Certification for GNOME apps

On 7/13/05, Glynn Foster <Glynn Foster sun com> wrote:
> > Is that necessarily
> > going to please 100% of ISVs? No. (Possibly not even 50%.) Will it be
> > useful anyway? IMHO, yes. While we should definitely get Bryan's input
> > and attempt to accomodate it as much as practicable, lets please not
> > bog this down by aiming to please the iron-clad expectations of very
> > serious ISVs when the current state is so abysmal for *all*  consumers
> > of GNOME libraries.
>
> Yeah, but you know as well as I do, that those serious ISVs are exactly
> the people we need to target - and well, without those iron-clad
> expectations, we won't get a foot in the door.

Yes, but I think the difference of opinion is not the end goal, rather
just how much we think we can handle right now.  Personally, I think
of these certification steps as a milestone towards meeting more
iron-clad expectations.  I think you are right that we need to keep
the larger goal in mind, but I agree with Luis that we need to start
smaller or risk getting unrealistic (for now) requirements that do
more damage than good.  :)

Cheers,
Elijah