Re: Certification for GNOME apps

On 7/13/05, Glynn Foster <Glynn Foster sun com> wrote:
> Heya,
>
> Dudes, you should work with Brian Cameron from Sun on this - I'm pretty
> sure he'll pick up this thread, but he's done a HUGE amount of work in
> this space already.
>
> I personally think a step by step effort working down through your list
> is awesome - rather than doing everything at the one time, get the
> initial ISV porting guide out for Level 0 *now*.
>
> Level 1+ is a hell of a lot harder to start thinking about because
> you're basically guaranteeing a compatibility roadmap for ISVs, and I've
> found [in my experience], that involves a lot more thought.
>
> FWIW, I don't think this is just a marketing thing - this involves a lot
> of commitment from the developers too, and a level of understanding that
> I'm not quite sure is there yet.

There can be a useful intermediary between 'having no docs at all' and
'here is a documentary that explains what we promise to support for
ever and ever, amen.' I believe the goal here is to document what we
do now, and how to usefully integrate with that. Is that necessarily
going to please 100% of ISVs? No. (Possibly not even 50%.) Will it be
useful anyway? IMHO, yes. While we should definitely get Bryan's input
and attempt to accomodate it as much as practicable, lets please not
bog this down by aiming to please the iron-clad expectations of very
serious ISVs when the current state is so abysmal for *all*  consumers
of GNOME libraries.

Luis