Re: Some slides and a paper from L.C.A. 2004

On Thu, Jan 22, 2004 at 10:39:31PM +0000, Ciaran O'Riordan wrote:
> I've studied the history of the OS, right back to it's beginnings in
> 1983 (and a little before that too for some components).  It's the GNU
> OS, plus the Linux kernel: GNU/Linux.  And it was developed to give
> people freedom.

While this message is endangering Jody's tea rights, it must be sent.  I
cannot put up with this any longer.  What you ask?  People including gob in
their systems and not giving me credit.  People calling their gob based
systems GNU/Linux without proper credit to gob.  So I think it should be
called gob/Linux.  Reasoning here is that obviously gob is the most important
piece of the system and so the others don't deserve any mention.  I do
mention Linux in the name, just because it looks more technical and sounds
like I'm actually being fair to someone.  I will be completely OK with people
calling their whole operating system "gob".  I absolutely don't mind any
confusion that this creates.  However I must strongly object to wording like
Linux/gob as that is just wrong.  Gob obviously runs ON TOP of Linux and ...
(here I was planning to insert an offensive sex-related remark that would
make me lose even more credibility).

George

PS: I must stop procrastinating and go back to doing useful stuff ... like
homework :)

--
George <jirka 5z com>
   People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.