Re: Some slides and a paper from L.C.A. 2004

My 2 kopecks:

1. The question of whether one should use term "Linux" or "GNU/Linux"
has been debated  times, and everyone is sick of it. Position of FSF and
Stallman personally has been stated in many places (FSF website in
particular), and everyone is aware of it. So if people on this list
still refer to it as "Linux", it is not because they are not aware of
GNU role but because for one reason or another (probably convenience is
the main of them) they prefer to use the shorter term. This may wise or
may be not, but I do not think that repeating the same arguments or
"reminding" people to use term "GNU/Linux" is going to achieve any
result other than annoying them. So unless RMS has some new killer
argument, better not start the discussion again.

If RMS thinks that there should be a GNOME policy on whether Linux or
GNU/Linux should be used in GNOME  documentation and on website, let the
foundation board decide it.  But I do not think anyone - RMS, FSF,
foundation board - can dictate to people which term they should use in
their emails and talks. Wise or not, this is their choice.

2. I do not think Alan's suggestion that one has to use (TM) sign with
Linux was intended to be taken seriously - rather as a way to show RMS
that other people can be  annoying, too. Did I read it right?

Sasha