Re: Questions for candidates

Yes, that was the presentation. The view that maintainers are all that really counts did not strike a resonant chord with me, nor with the EU representative sitting behind me at the presentation, I must say. Rather, this view seems to be closed, exclusive, not particularly bothered about expanding GNOME into the wider world. If there is a collective desire to match a Certain Large Commercial Desktop, then a lot more key expertise is needed at the core of GNOME directional strategy than just the
maintainer view.

Again, this is only my humble, worthless opinion as a non-core-package-maintainer. If the maintainers-are-all-that-matters view is the correct assessment of the GNOME community culture and the GNOME Desktop, then you can safely ignore my comments as irrelevant.

I suppose what I am really trying to find out is, is there a collective desire to do something really big with the GNOME Desktop, to really ignite the world, to bring accessible computing to the huddled masses. Or is it all just a nice hobby for a small group of hackers? If the former, then we need to look at the culture of GNOME, if the latter, then the culture is fine by all accounts.

Pat