Re: RealMedia used for GUADEC live transmissions?

Hello,

>     Or you could get Real Player, download the images, decode them, and
>     publish them, instead of demanding that people put even more work.
>
>     Lead with the example.
>
> GUADEC too should lead by example.  This is why the issue we are
> discussing is so important.  When GUADEC uses RealPlayer, it sets an
> example that encourages use of non-free software merely because that
> is a convenient way to do some task.  By converting ASAP to a free
> format, it can start setting a good example.

If the GUADEC people have the spare cycles to do that, it would be
great, and that would be nice.

But nobody has stepped up to do this so far.  Maybe they will step up,
maybe they wont. In the meantime, there are complaints about the
particular strategy followed. Rui asked for "tapes to be sent to him".
I am sure that he can do the work sitting form the comfort of his house,
directing people to do things the way he wants.

Or he could *download* the proprietary software, and run it for a few
hours, and effectively make a change instead of complaining.

> You are right in asking other people to pitch in and help, and I am
> sure Rui is willing to do so.  But don't make that an excuse to for
> you to do nothing.  The GUADEC organizers and GNOME developers should
> also pitch in and help.  For instance, the GUADEC organizers can make
> the raw recording available for him to download; then he can do the
> conversion without any non-free software, and provide the converted
> files back to the GUADEC organizers.  This way, nobody would have
> to run a non-free program to get this job done.

I was not involved in the organization of Guadec.  I just see people
like Rui and you as being tremendously disrespectful for the hard work
that the volunteers put together.

Some volunteers sold their laptops to be able to make it to the show;
Next year, I expect you and Rui to show the same kind of commitment and
put the same kind of effort to make the show happen just the right way,
rather than leading like armchair generals.

Miguel