Re: Mailing list cleanup proposal

Havoc Pennington <hp redhat com> writes:

> On Sun, Dec 01, 2002 at 02:45:12AM +1100, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> > So, you think we should do without gnome-private? I think it's pretty useful
> > despite the warts, but like hackers, it would be good if there was a known
> > policy, and perhaps even a list of subscribers (with munged addresses) on
> > the web.
>
> I think it is useful to have -private, but I wish the subscriber list
> was less arbitrary.

My proposal (nothing I haven't said before multiple times)

 - Make gnome-hackers public subscription

 - Make gnome-private exactly gnome-foundation members.
   (Some problem if we are only processing membership applications
   once a year, but maintaining a separate heuristically
   maintained group of "cool people" is just not feasible
   at the current size of the GNOME project.)

> > I probably didn't explain the 'configuration oddness' thing very well. We
> > have gnome-hackers, gnome-hackers-posters, gnome-hackers-readonly,
> > gnome-private, gnome-private-members, gnome-private-posters.
>
> Ah, I thought gnome-private and gnome-hackers had exactly the same
> members.

 gnome-hackers-posters - people who can post to gnome-hackers without
   approval. (Because gnome-hackers is closed posting, postonly gnome org
   doesn't work for it.)
 gnome-hackers-readonly - subscribe to this if you want to read
   gnome-hackers without posting privelgaes
 gnome-private-members - people who can post to and receive mails
   from gnome-hackers *and* gnome-private
 gnome-private-posters - people who can post to gnome-private without
   approval. (Because gnome-private is closed posting, postonly gnome org
   doesn't work for it.)
 gnome-hackers - No direct list members
 gnome-private - No direct list members

Confusing, perhaps, but I don't think that confusion creates
active harm; only the people moderating the lists need to
understand the distinctions here.

Regards,
                                        Owen