Re: Mailing list cleanup proposal

On Sat, 2002-11-30 at 09:05, Owen Taylor wrote:
> Havoc Pennington <hp redhat com> writes:
>
> > On Sun, Dec 01, 2002 at 02:45:12AM +1100, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> > > So, you think we should do without gnome-private? I think it's pretty useful
> > > despite the warts, but like hackers, it would be good if there was a known
> > > policy, and perhaps even a list of subscribers (with munged addresses) on
> > > the web.
> >
> > I think it is useful to have -private, but I wish the subscriber list
> > was less arbitrary.
>
> My proposal (nothing I haven't said before multiple times)
>
>  - Make gnome-hackers public subscription
>
>  - Make gnome-private exactly gnome-foundation members.
>    (Some problem if we are only processing membership applications
>    once a year, but maintaining a separate heuristically
>    maintained group of "cool people" is just not feasible
>    at the current size of the GNOME project.)
>
> > > I probably didn't explain the 'configuration oddness' thing very well. We
> > > have gnome-hackers, gnome-hackers-posters, gnome-hackers-readonly,
> > > gnome-private, gnome-private-members, gnome-private-posters.
> >
> > Ah, I thought gnome-private and gnome-hackers had exactly the same
> > members.
>
>  gnome-hackers-posters - people who can post to gnome-hackers without
>    approval. (Because gnome-hackers is closed posting, postonly gnome org
>    doesn't work for it.)
>  gnome-hackers-readonly - subscribe to this if you want to read
>    gnome-hackers without posting privelgaes
>  gnome-private-members - people who can post to and receive mails
>    from gnome-hackers *and* gnome-private
>  gnome-private-posters - people who can post to gnome-private without
>    approval. (Because gnome-private is closed posting, postonly gnome org
>    doesn't work for it.)
>  gnome-hackers - No direct list members
>  gnome-private - No direct list members
>
> Confusing, perhaps, but I don't think that confusion creates
> active harm; only the people moderating the lists need to
> understand the distinctions here.

Hmm, I hadn't realized that we had two '-posters' lists there, and I try
to check up on those lists every few weeks to make sure that they aren't
getting clogged with subscription requests, caught (spam) emails, or
whatnot.  I'd like to get rid of the -posters lists, and just have those
people signed up to the -members lists, and set to NOMAIL.

Just one more bit, while I'm thinking of it.  If we were to make the
change that you proposed at the beginning of the mail, wouldn't that
make the existing gnome-hackers/private stuff obsolete?
	Greg

--
Gregory Leblanc <gleblanc linuxweasel com>