Re: Questions

Dan,

On Thu, Dec 06, 2001 at 10:20:12AM -0500, Daniel Veillard was heard to remark:
> On Thu, Dec 06, 2001 at 08:02:24AM -0700, Richard Stallman wrote:
> > See http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/why-not-lgpl.html for more
> > information on how the GNU Project approaches this question.
> > GNOME decisions should be based on that general approach.
>
>   My decisions will be based on my understanding of the problem, period.
> And the GNU Project viewpoint on this question is only one of the points
> I will look at when making decisions.

[...]
>   I hate being pointed at a decision from someone else and be told
> "that the way you have to think or act", sorry I hate dogmas,

Dan,

No one can have an enlightened debate on the finer issues until
both parties to the debate understand both the facts of the case
and the other party's viewpoints.

I don't beleive RMS is offering up /philosophy/why-not-lgpl.html
as 'dogma', rather, it is a concise statement of (some of) FSF's
viewpoints and goals.

The 'bonobo components' debate is a worthwhile one, but we should
advance it on the basis of the facts of component use, and the
opinions as to the future direction of Gnome.   Threatening to
quit on the basis of unarticulated disagreements doesn't make the
debate productive.

Until the Gnome Board of Directors votes to adopt language simlar
to why-not-lgpl.html in its charter/bylaws/mission statement, its
not an 'official' Gnome position.   If/when it does, it would be
reasonable for Gnome Foundation members to expect Board members
to uphold and pledge allegience to the charter/bylaws/etc.

If a Board member feels some 'official position' is misguided,
that Board member should proceed with some disgression and diplomacy
to guide a debate to update that position.  Threatening to resign
and issuing flamefests is not the way to advance that debate.

--linas

--
pub  1024D/01045933 2001-02-01 Linas Vepstas (Labas!) <linas linas org>