Re: Questions

> From: Richard Stallman <rms gnu org>
> Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2001 09:18:05 -0700 (MST)
> To: jg pa dec com
> Cc: jg pa dec com, n0made free fr, alan lxorguk ukuu org uk, linas linas org,
>         veillard redhat com, on_the_net clear net nz,
>         foundation-list gnome org
> Subject: Re: Questions
> -----
>     And code I write will continue to bear an X copyright: I come down on
>     Tim O'Reilly's side of freedom, and don't agree with your entire position.
>
> You are welcome to contribute to GNOME and other GNU packages even if
> you don't agree with the GNU philosophy.  We have no difficulty using
> code that is covered by the X11 license (it is a license, not a kind
> of copyright).  For instance, Emacs contains some X11-licensed files,
> and a few public-domain files.

Yup.

And yes, it is a license enforced by copyright.

> If the GNU Project makes major changes or extensions to that code, we
> might put the changed version under the GNU GPL.  Since you chose a
> license that gives permission for this, I trust you won't be too
> shocked if this happens.  But as long as we make only small changes,
> we would leave the license unchanged so the tail won't wag the dog.

Never have had a problem with this: if people do significant work, it is
their intellectual property to do with as they wish.  I do get upset when
people remove the X copyright, as some people do who do not understand
copyright law have done.  Adding copyrights has always been fine.

Of course, most of my work is currently in the X server: we won't accept
GPL there under any circumstances, due to its "infectious" behavior.

				- Jim

--
Jim Gettys
Cambridge Research Laboratory