Re: Minutes of the GNOME Foundation Board meeting 28 November 2000

* Martin Baulig (martin home-of-linux org) wrote at 18:12 on 30/11/00:
> Daniel Veillard <Daniel Veillard w3 org> writes:

> > > I'm unclear as to what this last line means.
> >
> >   One of the most common problems which led to the discussion whether
> > we should add ACL (Access Control Lists) to the CVs base is that there
> > have been case of people who were granted access to do a specific
> > action on the code base and who extended that priviledge and made
> > unappropriate changes to the code.
>
> Hmm, aren't maintainers normally reading over cvs-commits-list and checking
> whether there's something wrong.
>
> Btw. as one of cvsmaster gnome org, may I ask the board to talk/decide about
> a new policy for creating CVS accounts ? Currently the "policy" is something
> between "ask Miguel" and "ask the maintainer". Miguel seems to be forwarding
> all such requests to me without any check whatsoever while Elliot and me are
> doing some more checks (module maintainer / translation coordinator must
> approve etc.). So it is very unclear how to get a new CVS account and it also
> depends on who you ask.

Agreed, it took me several months waiting for a CVS account after asking
miguel. I then asked Maciej, who CCd it to you Martin, and it was done within
a few hours.

> It'd be good if the board can make a more formal policy for this.

I would also like to see a more formal policy for projects to request
"sponsorship" from the GNOME project (basically, CVS space (and/or optionally
HTTP/FTP space)).

Regards,
Ali