Minutes of the GNOME Foundation Board meeting 28 November 2000

      Minutes of the GNOME Foundation Board meeting 28 November 2000


    Havoc Pennington (chairing)
    Raph Levien             
    Dan Mueth               
    Miguel de Icaza         
    Daniel Veillard  (minutes)
    Jim Gettys              
    Bart Decrem             
    Owen Taylor             
    Federico Mena Quintero  



    John Heard              
    Maciej Stachowiak       


    We will have another meeting next week
   - not really a decision but GUADEC is April 6-8 2001 see the Web page
   - the foundation will try to fund the travel/hosting of main hackers if
     the expenses are not handled by existing entities
   - We will start to claim GNOME trademark while getting the fundation
     incorporated and assert it on the web site.
   - Owen will look for improvements possibles to the gnome.org servers

Work Done:

  ACTION: Havoc and Bart to send mail to all the current representative
          asking the contact informations for the Advisory Board reps and
	  a possible alternate
	  => DONE all were mailed, got responses from approx 1/2 of them

  ACTION: Havoc will build board gnome org alias for outside feedback
          => DONE

Work in progress:

  ACTION: Maciej to start the discussion on-line to get candidates for
          a QA coordinator for the Gnome-1.4 and Gnome-2.0 core coordinator
	  => without John and Maciej on the call, hard to tell,

  ACTION: Dan Mueth to forward the proposal to Chris Dibona, Martin Baulig
          and Russell Steinthal being part of the membership committee
	  => started, pending may need a couple more week

   ACTION: Havoc to send a mail to Kenneth to ask for hackers coming
           on the guadec list, good idea to put it on Gnotices too

   ACTION: Owen to build a list of TODO for the gnome.org servers


 - Minutes from last week approved

 - review status of actions from last week's minutes                            
 - status of incorporation process
   Bart: sent mail to John, no answer so far.
   Getting a group of experienced layers is definitely useful.
   We should try to get more direct control.
   Seems John is travelling in Europe

 - discuss fund raising for GUADEC (at Kenneth's request)
   Fundraising himself or directly on our behalf
   Incorporating is an important step to collect money easilly
   Miguel can help Kenneth on this.
   Last year major expense were travel and hosting like 25000$
   We need an agenda to collect the money too
   Get a call for people who want to attend, providing 2 paragraphs
   describing who and why.

 - approve mail to kde-core on joint announce of WM spec

 - GNOME trademark (how to proceed to obtain trademarks,
   which things to trademark - name, logo, etc.)
   Registering the trademark would avoid someone else from doing it
   Problem is to defend the trademark
   We should first incorporate, get money then and then try to register it
   for software.

 - GNOME trademark (how to proceed to obtain trademarks,
   which things to trademark
   We could still try to claim trademark it while getting the fundation
   incorporated and put it on the web site.
 - gnome.org hosting
   3 machines at a colocation near RH.
   there have been occasionnal downtimes 2-3 weeks in average
   some software seems to eat all resources and get it down
   there is a couple of technical solutions:
    + process limits
    + getting hardware raid + LFS
    + getting a serial <-> VGA
   Problem is people commiting when not appropriate

Daniel Veillard w3 org | W3C, INRIA Rhone-Alpes  | libxml Gnome XML toolkit
Tel : +33 476 615 257  | 655, avenue de l'Europe | http://xmlsoft.org/
Fax : +33 476 615 207  | 38330 Montbonnot FRANCE | Rpmfind search site
 http://www.w3.org/People/all#veillard%40w3.org  | http://rpmfind.net/

[Date Prev][Date Next]   [Thread Prev][Thread Next]   [Thread Index] [Date Index] [Author Index]