Re: What is GNOME office?

The beauty of free software is that anyone can start or fork a project.
Therefore, I'm sure there will always be multiple wordprocessors, spreadsheets
etc.

However, the truth of the matter is that GNOME currently lacks a competitive
productivity suite.   When I read discussions on our mailing lists on this
topic, I often wonder if the people in the flamewars actually use productivity
software on a daily basis.   While there are many interesting discussions to be
had about the technical superiority of one product over another, I feel that we
sometimes ignore the end-user needs, specifically the importance of complete
feature-sets and the ability to exchange documents with Windows and Macintosh
users.

We need to face the fact that we don't have a competitive productivity suite,
that it's a *major* hurdle in our move to make GNOME *the* free desktop of
choice, and agree to focus our energies on deliver ONE kick-butt suite that
includes a wordprocessor, spreadsheet, presentation package, charting tool,
painting program, personal organizer suite, maybe web-browser.  And I know this
is a controversial item, but I do think that the wordprocessor, spreadsheet and
presentation packages should be primarily built on the OpenOffice code base.

Bart